Should I get a Channel letter business sign installed?
Channel letters are a standard 3-D graphic that stands out in your potential customers’ mind. They are big, bright, cool, elegant, versatile, and intriguing. They are an incredible option for business owners.
Channel letter signs can be installed for indoor and outdoor purposes, making them amazing options to present your brand and logo. At BSC Signs, we have been working and installing all sorts of channel letter signs, all over Colorado and we have learned how effective and flexible they can be. We usually divide them into two categories.
Types of Channel letter signs
Front lit-Channel letter sign
Front lit channel letters are the most common type of channel letter. A sign using this lettering features lights that illuminate through the face of letters, a logo, or other shapes. This is accomplished by using a translucent acrylic face, colored or with a vinyl overlay, and a form of internal illumination. The light source can be LED, neon, fluorescent, or almost any other form of lighting.
Another trend uses all of these elements except the face, leaving the letters ‘open’ and the light source—commonly neon or incandescent bulbs—exposed. There are 5 main components to a front lit letter:
- Back: usually .040” aluminum
- Return: the side of the letter, usually 5” deep .040” aluminum. This material comes standard in a wide range of colors, but can also be custom painted
- Face: 3/16” white or colored acrylic
- Trim cap: The band that attaches the face to the return. This material comes in a range of standard colors that match or contrast the return and can be custom painted as well
- Illumination: LED lights are the most common, but there are many different options
Reverse Lit-Channel Letter Sign
Reverse lit channel letters, sometimes called halo lit letters, are a type of channel letter that emits light from behind the letters, logo, or shape onto the surface they’re mounted on. These channel letters are usually mounted off the wall with studs or a raceway so the lights inside can cast a glow around each letter from the back.
There are 4 main components to a reverse lit letter:
- Back: 3/16” clear polycarbonate
- Return: the side of the letter, usually 2.5” deep .063” aluminum. This material comes in a mill finish and is custom painted
- Face: 1/8” aluminum custom painted to any color
- Illumination: generally LED, but it can be one of many other types as well